A lot has been going on but sadly no blogging! I have a lot to catch up on…
But first I’ve been playing in the sewing room adding a few more details and fine tuning. It’s easy to look and lust after other peoples’ sewing spaces and ideas but it’s not until you start to work in your own space that you start to figure out what works and what doesn’t. We are all very different and work in different ways… not to mention different sizes! A tall male sewing can reach up to cupboards and shelves easily… Little short arses like me need a step ladder in the room. On the plus side I can move about easily from one machine to the other in my little space but a taller person may have difficulty fitting gangly legs under my counter tops lol.
Whilst I have been working on garments and other projects that you will get to see very soon, I’ve been able to figure out where exactly I want my machines to be and what other improvements I can add to make my space work better for me. My first though was a shelf, about 4-5inches wide just below my fabric storage that I can keep things on where they are easy to grab as and when I want them that will also serve to keep the counter top clear. There’s nothing worse than having everything lying about then then it getting swept off the top as you are sewing large pieces of fabric or hidden under pattern pieces and instructions or other paraphernalia.
I had a large piece of thin MDF left over from building the false wall so I cut off an 8ft length 5inches wide, cut it down to fit under the fabric storage and painted it white. Whilst that was drying I set about cutting nice big holes in the work tops. I don’t want wires all over the place to get caught up on. I have two plug sockets under the top so I run an extension lead off of each. One under the work top for the two machines and one on top for things like hot glue guns and my binding maker that aren’t used often and for short periods of time. Having used the space for a while I know I’m happy with where my machines are placed so I drilled a nice big hole for the power and treadle leads to come up from underneath and straight into their respective machine. Now I don’t want a big hole left for pins and little things to be falling through so I then stuffed them with some folded up kitchen roll. This held the leads in place more than anything whilst I cut out neat ‘fun foam’ shapes… that kind of spongy stuff you can buy in pre-cut shapes or letters or in A4 sheets. I have a whole pile of the stuff for amusing little ones with arty projects if they come to visit me. So I cut out the shapes then cut a cross in them. Fed them over the cable ends and glued them to the counter top… voila! Nice and neat, no wires all over the place and no big holes to lose things down
Off to paint the narrow shelves….
Next I filled in all the gaps around the worktops and in the corner shelves. Fixed the end panel in place and covered the edge of the worktop. All fiddly little bits that just give it a nice ‘finished’ look.
Off to paint another coat on the narrow shelves…
Next job was to drill all the shelf brackets in. I didn’t want anything too obtrusive and the wood is pretty thin so I opted for glass shelf brackets that I got from a large local DIY store. I don’t intend to put anything overly heavy on the shelf but I still put a bracket every 18inches or so. My neighbours collect all their jars for me so I should have a nice display of buttons and things that will be easy to see and get at whenever I want.
Shelves up :D…. full of rubbish at the moment but hopefully next week I have a week off so I can do some more organising in between sewing of course 😉 In the bottom half of the picture you can see the strip of wood I added under the corner shelves that I can pin pattern instructions or measurement notes to so I can refer to them easily whilst sewing without them cluttering up working space.
What else have I been up to? Well I’ve made a fleecy top for my lovely friend Alex, some Harem pants for Lisa, working on an original 1940s pattern for Donna, bought a few pairs of curtains that will upcycle into some fabulous dresses (I hope!) and started work on a rather snazzy jacket for Steve. Oh and a bag for my youngest son that conformed to airplane hand luggage regulations 😀
All will be blogged and hopefully a lot quicker then I have been of late! Whilst I had my tools out I also made a new seat frame for my dining chairs. When I purchased them from a second hand store one had the seat missing and I’m finally getting round to sorting that out too so there will be an upcoming upholstery blog or two. In slightly sadder news my eldest son plays in a band and has done for a long time. They all work really hard playing gigs, recording and making music videos. Last week the guitarists van was stolen from his drive way with all the bands instruments inside it! Aside from his livelihood they have collectively lost around £17,000 worth of van and equipment. Consequently last weekend I had to drive the lads up north to play a gig in the midlands. We left a 2:30pm and I eventually got back home after the event at 4am! I did however take my hand sewing and some crochet with me… If ever you are in a similar situation with your children here is my handy hint for when you forget to bring your pin cushion out with you…..