Sewing Room Update… No. 8 & Almost No. 23

Evening all….

I’ve been having a rather productive day even if my doggies don’t think so… Great idea to have fully equipped groom rooms that you can hire out. They provide everything, even a choice of shampoo and doggie cologne (still can’t believe they had a bottle of Kennel No5! lol), aprons, a towel, brushes of all kinds and the blower to dry the woofas when your done.  We thought it was great.. Bear and Kishi not so great 😛

My cluckers weren’t overly amused when I moved their coop to the gravelled part of my garden earlier today either but if I leave them up the top I won’t have a bean to eat as they will eat every little green shoot that comes up and I have lots of fruit and vegetables to get sowing… Don’t you just love spring time 😀

This evening I’ve finally done some sewing YEY!!! My sewing room isn’t finished by a long shot yet but I’ve got about three quarters of my fabric stash measured, folded and put in the shelves neatly .

 

Now hopefully at this point you’re asking yourself ‘Why did she say measured?’ Well even if you’re not, I’m going to tell you anyway lol… I now have a shoebox lid full of snippets of every fabric I have…

DSC_0030

As you can see attached to each one is a piece of paper telling me how wide the fabric is and how many meters there are. Once I have finished doing the same with the rest of my stash I intend to make myself a sort of ‘fabric catalogue’ which just so happens to be No 23 on my ‘To Do List’.   A few months ago there was an article in one of Love Sewing magazines that detailed how to test your fabrics for fibre content by burning it. Pretty interesting stuff… They even provied a page that could be cut out and kept (I’m going to laminate mine) with a flow chart on it to help determine what fabric is what. I know for instance, that I have three pieces of black fabric. One is definitely pure silk, one is a mix and the other is a cheap thin satin but its really hard to tell the difference sometimes so the plan is to burn a little of each snippet and work out what the fabric content is. Then I can stick the remainder of each snippet in a folder. Next time I choose a pattern to make I should be able to browse my shelves then look up my options as to exactly how much of my chosen fabric I have… And then most likely sulk as I don’t have enough for the pattern I want to make which then gives me the perfect excuse to go fabric shopping 😀  Clever plan or what? lol I’ve also sorted a box of random fabric pieces that were too small to justify measuring and folding but too big to throw away. I figured they would be useful for making toiles of new patterns to check /adjust fit and for smaller craft projects. I got a delivery of patterns today for flowers, accessories and pin cushions. Looking forward to making lots of things to sell later in the year at craft fairs and charity events 😀

OMG!!! the doggies have just come in from their night walk soaking wet from the rain. Kishi ran straight into my sewing room and shook everywhere!!! I shouted at her so Mr Bear promtly ran in and did exactly the same all over me and my sewing room!! The lil sh*%s! Guess thats their revenge for me taking them to the grooming rooms and bathing them….. Stop laughing! It wasn’t funny 😥

Anyway after all my hard work with doggies, gardens and cleaning my car I decided it was high time I did some sewing. I even managed to justify sewing in an incomplete room by crossing off No. 8 on my ‘To Do List’ The rest of my home is still partially burried in junk. I’ve cleared an awful lot of it but some was a pile of clothing that needed to be fixed. So I cleared the work top and set up my two main machines. I have a Singer Brilliance electronic machine and a Brother 1034D Overlocker.

DSC_0031

I dragged out the angle poise lamp as the lighting in here needs to be improved drastically. The sewing light on my overlocker is great but sadly the Singers’ light is severely lacking.  Anyway… I fixed this lot plus altered a dress for someone else…

_20160303_231710

I patched up the seat of 3 pairs of jeans and a button on one of them, then restitched on a pocket on another pair. Deemed the combat bottoms as dead so cut them down to 3/4 length shorts for the summer, Stictched up a hoodie, a pillow case, a ripped dress and put eleastic in a pair of leggings… clothes mending all up to date :D… Go me!

Now I’m off to bed or I won’t get up for work tomorrow.. Night night

Lainey  x

 

 

 

 

 

About acraftteacuppa

Vintage kinda gal loves all things 40s 50s and art deco. Loves all kinds of crafts especially sewing. addicted to fabric, antiques and shoes. Have two sons and two Akitas that I adore. Passionate about our armed forces, WW1 family history. Living on WW2 Rations for Charity for a whole year. Would one day like to have a tea shop/haberdashery/sewing rooms to relax chat and teach/share all sorts of craft skills in <3
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s